7. (I) There shall be a Governing Board of the University consisting of the following
persons as its members, namely:-
(a) the Chancellor;
(b) the Vice-Chancellor;
(c) five members from amongst the Member States which provide maximum
financial assistance during a period of three years to be nominated by the Member
(d) one member, not below the rank of Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs,
to be nominated by the Central Government;
(e) two members, representing the State Government of Bihar, to be nominated by
the State Government;
(f) one member not below the rank of Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Human
Resource Development, to be nominated by the Central Government;
(g) three members from amongst the persons being renowned academician or
educationist, to be nominated by the Central Government.
(2) Each member of the Governing Board referred to in clauses (c) to (g) of sub-
section(I), shall holdoffice for a fixed term of three years.
(3) The Chancellor shall be the Chairperson of the Governing Board.
(4) The member, being the Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs, nominated
under clause (d) of sub-section (I), shall be the Member-Secretary of the Governing
(5) Subject to the provisions of this Act; the Statutes and the Ordinances made there
under, the Governing Board may regulate its own procedure (including quorum) for
the conduct of its meetings.
8. U) The Governing Board shall be responsible for all the policies and directions of
the University and management of its affairs.
(2) The Governing Board shall exercise such powers as may be prescribed by the
Provided that the Nalanda Mentor Group shall exercise the powers and discharge the functions
of the Governing Board for a period of one year or till such time the members referred to in
clauses (c) to (g) of sub-section (1) of section 7 are nominated, whichever is earlier.